Author Topic: Love the game, here's some feedback  (Read 1983 times)

janjanskan

• View Profile
Love the game, here's some feedback
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »
Let me just start by saying that I absolutely love this game! The atmosphere, the sound, and the visuals are all stunning and I've enjoyed playing through the game a few times by now. I want all my feedback and criticism to be well received, I understand the game is in early access so I mean no harm.

First off, my frames are awful, especially in certain parts where it gets intense (especially when the lights are bright). This may be my own fault because my PC is not brand new or powerful. Here are my specs just for reference:
i5 quad 3.0 ghz
nvidia geforce gt 630
edit: I turned the settings down by the way as much as I could maybe my card is configured incorrectly.

Second, I wanna say that the pacing for the game as you're probably already aware, requires that you spend a good amount of time looking around at stuff, opening drawers, cupboards, etc. Without this to fill the space, I think the scares seem to be all right next to each other. I LOVE that there are still scares I haven't discovered yet just because I haven't looked around enough though.

The Paintings. You already know there's maybe 10 different paintings in the entire game, not a huge deal but it gets repetitive if you are looking around every time.

At the beginning of the story I think there is little context leading into him wanting to paint something. Perhaps could be introduced when the game is updated, just some kind of motivation or setup for the painting.

The main "enemy" is TERRIFYING to me, and I love it. Her random pop ups when she doesn't kill you are scary as well. However, I think this is abused a bit much, while it's scary, there are maybe only two real "enemies" to be afraid of in the game that's her and the dolls. I think even if there were figures that appeared but were not explained to be anyone else, that would be great. I think the ghost vibe has a lot going for it in this game.

One finer thing I've noticed is after certain events when you are freaking out (the screen shakes, a tune is played, and colors flash) you can perform actions. One example is in the record room, after you discover the vial of blood you can press B to exit the dialogue and then go over to the record player and then turn it on. This results in a small bug where the dialogue for the vial of blood ends maybe one second earlier.

Again I know the game is in early access I just wanted to let you guys know what I think, sorry if it comes across as harsh! I love this game and I can't wait to see it get better :) thank you for making this great game.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:11:04 PM by janjanskan »

NEPtuned_BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Love the game, here's some feedback
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
Hey, thanks a lot for your feedback, it's always highly appreciated.

janjanskan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:22:26 PM »
I've played through the game a few more times since I last posted and I have a few more things to add.

Even after playing through it this many times (maybe 4) it still scares me every time, even IF I muted the sound by being scared (lol) so this is a good thing.

I've noticed  that a lot of triggers can be skipped that are supposed to scare you. This is mostly done early in the game by entering a room, turning around and then opening the door you came from, which will lead to a new place.

For example: when you first enter the room with the open window you are drawn to go look out the window, however if you just turn around and walk right back out you can progress. I know that almost every new player to the game will not do this, but I just wanted to make it known. I think in the majority of the other rooms, the door you came from will be locked until you trigger something that prompts the map to change.

This also occurs in the room with the doll "painting" where you're supposed to fall down the trap and walk back up the stairs, you can skip this room entirely.

This also occurs in the room where the rats are running into the fire, you can skip that entirely.

If you walk backwards leaving the room with the deer mount where the room is supposed to get all jumbled up, that won't happen.

You can skip the piano being pushed away from you by leaving the room

In one of the four-doored rooms where you open them all to be brick walls (I believe this is in the children's themed chapter) you can also turn around and open the door you came from to skip that little part.

I know this goes against how the game is "intended" to be played the first time through but I was just exploring.

Hope this helps in any way, love the game still. thank you so much
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 10:27:40 PM by janjanskan »

NEPtuned_BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
The ability to avoid the scares has been implemented intentionally :)

janjanskan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:15:23 AM »
Hello again devs! me again.
I've still been playing your game and even though it's only in early access now, I've been attempting to beat it as fast as possible.
My fastest time so far is 22 minutes!

anyways I encountered a small bug in the upside down room where the visual effects that occur after turning things right-side up remained on my screen for quite sometime thereafter (Until I went into the twisty hallway, this got rid of it somehow). The rainbowy, twisty sort of effect.

I do have a video of this bug if you guys need it for reference, but I have not yet tried to recreate it.

keep up the great work I'm excited for the full release <3
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:17:01 AM by janjanskan »

NEPtuned_BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 03:03:40 PM »
Love your devotion man! We'll check that bug.

janjanskan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 03:27:39 AM »
hey again Bloober team! I have completed what will be my best speedrun of this version of the game, and I just wanted to show you. The sound is bad, the quality on the picture is also bad but I've worked hard on this and my best time is 20:04. It's come a long way from my original best time being 24:00 or so.

So excited for the full game! can't wait to stream it.

http://www.hitbox.tv/video/898571

let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 03:55:19 AM by janjanskan »

gnawman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »
I know its a minor gripe but is the main character supposed to have a limp cause that's what it sounds like, if not any watch to patch right and left footsteps the way they should sound? otherwise awesome game.

NEPtuned_BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 05:10:24 PM »
He indeed has a limp. :)